Saturday, February 11, 2012

Old School Doughnuts


My mother made a food diary for us when we were in school..She used to write plain-basic everyday recipes in it for me and my sister..and we would always complain telling her to write some fancy baking recipes and not the boring ones. When I moved to Germany I brought this diary along. Sometimes you just want to go back to basics.

These doughnuts have mashed potatoes in them and thats how we have always had them at our home.
 You Need:
  • 2 medium sized potatoes (boiled and mashed)
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 2 or more cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1tsp vanilla essence/powder
  • salt
  • castor sugar to coat
  • oil for frying
  1.  Boil and Mash Potatoes.
  2. Grind the sugar or use fine sugar.
  3. In a bowl add:
  • Sugar
  • Potatoes
  • egg
  • baking powder
  • vanilla
  • flour (enough to make a dough)
  • pinch of salt

Make a dough and leave it to rest for half an hour.

  •  Kneed the dough a bit and roll it out (3/4 of an inch thick)
  • Use a round cutter or a wide mouthed glass to cut outt he shapes.
  • For the hole you can use a doughnut cutter off course but I have always seen my mother use a lipstick cap for the purpose :p
  • Fry in clean oil (and not the oil in which you fried your fish or chicken last night) on Medium-High heat.
  • Remove and drain when a nice light brown colour shows.To coat them with sugar I find it best to put some castor sugar in a plastic box, add 2-3 doughnuts at a time,close the lid and shake shake shake! You'll have perfectly coated doughnuts. Make sure that you do this while the doughnuts are still very hot.
I did not coat them with Chocolate as I wanted them plain and simple.

1 comment:

Share some Love, Leave a Comment!