These yummy swirls made with flour and either yellow or orange colour are irresistible! They are quickly dipped into a simmering pot of sugar and cardamom syrup to bring out the taste and the glaze.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 leveled teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches yellow/orange food colour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 and a half cup water
- Make sugar syrup. Boil the water with sugar and let it simmer for sometime.
- Mix flour+colour+COLD water (enough to make a creamy..glue like batter)
- Use a piping bag or an old ketchup squeezy bottle to make the swirls..you have to be quick in your hand movement to make nice shapes.
- Fry in clean oil at medium high until golden
- When done directly put the Jalebis into the simmering syrup. Let them stay there only for 2 mins. You don't want them to get soggy.
- DO NOT COVER the warm jalebis after dishing out.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.Enjoy soft and lightly crisp Jalebis.
- Traditionally served in a cereal bowl with hot milk.
Just for Fun: There is a saying in Urdu language 'Jalebi ki tarha seedha' which can be translated as 'as ironically simple as the swirls of the Jalebi' ..said when some person is pretending to be innocent when infact they are not as simple as they seem..