Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Marmite Spaghetti

I had to try this. I first saw Nigella Lawson make them and went..eww not all recipes from a good looking cook are good! I knocked it off. I like marmite, so this recipe had somehow stayed in my mind. i gave it a go with a twist however. I added a diced seekh kebab, black pepper and veggies to the original recipe. Turned out great..nothing gross about it at all. I promise.


Here is the original recipe:
Ingredients

  • 375 Grams spaghetti (dried)
  • 50 Grams Unsalted butter
  • 1 Teaspoon Marmite or more to taste
  • 1 A sprinkling of Parmesan cheese to serve ( I skipped this and added more seasoning instead)
Method
  1. Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water, according to the packet instructions.
  2. When the pasta is almost cooked, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the Marmite and 1 tablespoon of the pasta water, mixing thoroughly to dissolve.  Reserve 1/2 a cup of pasta water; then drain the pasta and pour the Marmite/Vegemite mixture over the drained spaghetti, adding a little reserved pasta water to amalgamate if required. Serve with plenty of grated Parmesan cheese.
  3. For vegetarians replace the Parmesan cheese with a vegetarian alternative.

Nigella's Tip 
"Two ordinances: one, that the water you cook pasta in should be as salty as the Mediterranean; and two, that pasta should not be too officiously drained, but rather be "con la goccia", that's to say with some cooking water still clinging to it, as this makes it easier to incorporate the sauce. It was she who taught me to scoop out some of the cooking water just before draining the pasta, to help the sauce amalgamate later if necessary."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share some Love, Leave a Comment!