Here we go. I followed the exact recipe written by momsie in my handy book of all recipies a beginner would ever need! Ignore the water marks please :)
- I use White Basmati Rice. You Need one fistful (thats a reletive measurment, i guess it would be a Little more then half a Cup) for every one litre of milk. You may use low fat but the creamy texture of kheer may be lost.
- Take your Rice and milk. Add one Cup of water to it. Bring it to boil, add crushed seeds of four cardamom pods. From this point on reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 1 and a half hour. The Rice should be really soft and the milk bubbles should be thick and round by then.
- Now add 1 Cup of sugar to this simmering pot, stir and cook for another 4-5 mins. Saffron and kewera essence is opptional..I didnt have them so I skipped. They add a rich Aroma tot he kheer.
- I liike the Rice to be slightly broken, but not completely pureed. I ran a Hand mixer in the pot..quick 3 or 4 blitz not more.
- Remove from pot into a dish of choice.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios, almonds, cashews or if you like raisins too.
- Give a final finishing toch by adding pure silver leaves. they are hard to find, I got mine from Pakistan.
- Use a heavy based steel pot..non stick pots will burn the milk.
- Stir several times while it simmers.
- Refridfgerate it once it cools on R.temp.
- Decorate only after it has cooled, otherwise the nuts will sink at the bootom.
- The consistency should be creamy..not runny and not too thick. Keep in mind that it will thicken more once it sits in the fridge.
- A hard film might form while it cools..give it a stir before serving or decorating.